Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Christian Ecological Movement


I was never aware of the biblical call to care for the environment. I knew that we were given "dominion" over creation, and that was always taught to me to mean we were to be responsible guardians. While that is essentially true, I was not aware how deeply the call for ecological responsibility resides within scripture. It is an intensely woven theme throughout scripture and one that has caught my attention. I try to live my life based upon the truths that are laid out in the Bible, but have not been aware of this particular call until now. It has been another, very convicting, development in my faith. Not only is it a moral obligation to care for the environment because it affects the quality of life for all of humanity, but ecological responsibility is also a God-given command for all his followers. If I am to hold scripture as my standard of truth, I must understand all the God calls me to do as his follower. Most Christians, I expect, are naive to these commands within scripture. If more Christians were aware of these truths, I think it could inspire a movement towards a more environmentally aware faith. Now, as I consider my actions, and the actions in my future, I attempt to align them with scripture. For example, when I think about living on my own next year, I realize that I will have to make decisions that reflect how I care for God’s earth. I will have full control over what food I buy, my methods of transportation, how I choose to live. After gaining a full understanding of how God calls us to live, I am excited to make those decisions in a way that reflects God’s will for his creation. I think it could be a major way to witness not only to anyone I may meet, but also to people I am close with, such as my family. It is not common to hear someone claim ecological responsibility in the name of Christ, but I believe it could make a serious impact in today’s society. 


Christians must begin to seriously question their actions towards the environment. I know that I have been personally convicted by my exposure to the ecological crisis and how my faith should coincide with the environment. Although always conscious about the environment, I was never motivated by faith to treat the earth well. It was always superficial. This has changed. I have become increasingly inspired by the truth and commands of scripture to care for the earth. I no longer see caring for the environment as merely human kindness towards the earth, but as a Christian responsibility. There needs to be a greater Christian movement towards widespread ecological responsibility. Humans, in general, do not like to take the blame for anything, so it makes sense that many people refuse to accept the cause and effect relationship between our actions and the current state of the Earth. If only we could overcome our greed, our overconsumption, need for power and our ignorant tyranny over creation and accept the problem and begin to rectify the situation. What better source of reconciliation than a group of people who follow a God who cares for the poor and cautions against greed, a God of justice, unity and harmony, a God who created all things and is supreme above all things? Christianity is perfectly positioned to begin a radical campaign for the environment. Its teachings provide remedies for our ecological crimes. Often times, environmentally aware living is associated with the “hippie” stereotype. How radical would it be if it could become synonymous with Christianity? The core beliefs of our faith are ripe to allow this kind of change, we only need to fight against the ignorance and misunderstandings that pervade the Christian faith in regards to the environment and begin to see creation in the same light as it’s Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment